It seemed just like old times at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca for the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion August 17-21. There were throngs of spectators for the Friday and Saturday races, 400-plus race cars of every description filling the paddock, which was revved up by a Le Mans Heritage Display showing off 51 stupefying Le Mans-winning cars in an homage to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, kicking off its year-long centennial. Remember that the Monterey Reunion has never been dedicated to a specific motor race, until now.
To change things up, the format was Wednesday through Saturday for the races, with the Corkscrew Hillclimb and Community Day on Sunday, where 60 cars raced reverse course from the existing start/finish to Turn 11, and up the hill to finish after cresting the iconic Corkscrew.
Also, the pre-grid was moved from the front of the garages to the fence line between Turns 10 and 11, allowing spectators a much closer look at the cars about to head out on the track by group.
Keeping a sharp eye meant seeing racing heroes of the not-so- distant past including Patrick Long, Dario Franchitti, Lyn St. James, John Morton, Rick Knoop, Jochen Mass, Jacky Ickx, Tom Kristensen, Henri Pescarolo, Stefan Johansson, Ron Fellows, Peter Brock and Bob Garretson, just to name a few.
There were also vendors galore, like Racer Coffee and Café Le Mans, where yes, one could sip a glass of properly chilled Moët et Chandon, with arrayed sectional sofas on the faux lawn and displaying wonderful vintage images of Laguna’s most memorable races.
Prizes are presented to individuals based on exceptional performance in their race groups, not based on race results, and are selected by stewards.
The 2022 Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion prize recipients are:
- Peter Giddings Memorial Award – Nathanael Greene: 1925 Bugatti Type 35
- Ken Miles Award – David Woodhouse: ex-Ken Miles’ 1961 Dolphin Mk2
- Phil Remington Award, presented by Ford – Francois Sicard: 1962 Stanguellini
- Henry Ford Trophy – George Krass: Ford-powered Panoz LMP900
- Bonhams Passion and Spirit Award – Ernie Spada: 1981 Lola T600
- John Fitch Corvette Award – John Goodman: 1971 Chevrolet Corvette
- Stellar Performance in Braking Award – Horatio Fitz-Simon: 1964 Lotus 26R
- Motul Best of Show – Bruce McCaw: 1952 Mercedes-Benz W194
- 1958-1963 Formula Junior – Phillip Ribbs: 1963 Lotus 27
- 1974-1979 Formula Atlantic – Laurent Parmentier: 1977 Chevron B39
- 1955-1966 SCCA Production Cars – Horatio Fitz-Simon: 1964 Lotus 26R
- Ragtime Racers – Rob Dyson: 1913 Isotta Frachinni
- 1923-1955 Le Mans Celebration – Max Jamiesson: 1957 Porsche 356
- 1956-1971 Le Mans – Gray Gregory: 1969 Chevron B16
- 1972-1982 Le Mans – Jonathan Feiber: 1974 Porsche RSR
- Le Mans Legends Exhibition – Flavien Marcais: 1975 Alpine-Renault A441
- 1981-2005 Le Mans Prototypes and GT1 – Malcolm Ross: 1985 Porsche 962
- 1955-1969 Saloon Cars – Don Racine: 1961 Austin Mini Cooper S
- 1966-1972 Historic Trans-Am – Dennis Singleton: 1970 Chevrolet Camaro
- 1966-1985 Historic Formula One – Chris Locke: 1976 Lotus 77
- 1981-1991 IMSA, GTO, Trans Am – Walt Brown: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro
- The Spirit of Monterey — Presented to the driver or entrant who excels in the spirit of the weekend was awarded to Martin Lauber, who entered his 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI and 1976 Porsche 911 RSR, as well as participating in the Monterey Race Car Show in downtown Monterey Aug. 12.