The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix is preparing to celebrate its 40th Anniversary this summer and will honor Porsche as the Marque of the Year. Porsche vehicles of all years will be on display at the car shows, parties and parades during the July 15-24 Race Week, with as many as 400 participating in the Porsche Marque Show on the Schenley Park Golf Course July 23-24.
Porsche will be seen on the track as well, the PVGP Historics at Pittsburgh International Race Complex showcasing vintage 356, 911, 914 and 944 as well as more modern Porsche GT3 Cup cars. The Pitt Race purpose-built track is 40 miles northwest of Pittsburgh and provides the perfect venue for racing legends to thunder through the Pennsylvania countryside.
The street circuit in Schenley Park is a different story. Laps around the challenging stone-walled track will be limited to sports cars from the 1940s, ’50s and ‘60s, Porsche is represented by the its classic 356, 914 and select 911 models.
Burton Morris is working on the poster for 2022 that will feature a Porsche 911 on the familiar red, white and blue Brumos livery. It will be unveiled at the 2022 Greater Pittsburgh Auto Show on Feb. 19.
Ray Shaffer, the Porsche Classic Market Development Manager at Porsche Cars North America is coming home to Pittsburgh to serve as our Grand Marshal. Shaffer was born and raised in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh, and traces the roots of his career in the auto industry to a chance meeting with the late Coca-Cola Porsche racer and Sebring 12 hour-winner Bob Akin at the 1986 PVGP.
“It’s an honor to serve as Grand Marshal at the event that stoked my automotive passion as a teenager,” Shaffer said. “The friendships and connections I made then have been the backbone of my career, and led me on a path to Porsche Classic, where I am now part of a team of caretakers tasked with keeping dream cars alive.”
2022 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Week Schedule
- Blacktie & Tailpipes Gala | Grand Concourse Restaurant | Friday, July 15 | 6:30 – 11:00 p.m.
- PVGP Historic | Pittsburgh International Race Complex | Thurs.-Sun. July 14-17| 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Walnut Street Invitational Car Show | Shadyside | Mon., July 18 | 5:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- PVGP Car Cruise | Waterfront | Tues., July 19 | 4:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Downtown Car Display | Wed., July 20 | 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Tune-Up Party | SouthSide Works | Wed., July 20 | 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Countryside Tour featuring British Sports Cars | Thurs., July 21 | 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Jet Center Party | Pittsburgh-Bulter Regional Airport | Thurs., July 21 | 6:00 – 11:00 p.m.
- Forbes Avenue of Speed Parade & Reception | Fri., July 22 | 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Race Weekend | Schenley Park | Sat.-Sun., July 23-24 | 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
More than 3,000 vehicles of all makes and years will combine to create the International Car Show at the Bob O’Connor Golf Course. Spectators browse the car show, sponsor displays and tents while watching the vintage racers roar through the stone-walled, twisting streets of Schenley Park.
For more information, click HERE.