Santa Monica, CA — Gooding & Company’s Jan. 18-19 auction in Scottsdale will feature an outstanding lineup of 1950s and 1960s Ferraris as part of its roughly 125-car docket.
Among the highlights is a 1953 Ferrari 250 MM Spider Series II, one of 12 Vignale Spiders built on the legendary 250 MM chassis. Designed by Giovanni Michelotti, this car offers distinctive fender portholes, triangular cutaways at the rear and decorative chrome trim. Sold new to Alfred Momo, who managed Briggs Cunningham’s racing team, the 250 on offer was entered in numerous races in the United States throughout the mid 1950s.
Also in Scottsdale is a 1964 Ferrari 275 GTB Prototype, the very first example built, and used to test numerous features and upgrades that would eventually be introduced in production cars. In January 1966, the car was entered into the 35th annual Monte Carlo Rally with Giorgio Pianta driving and Roberto Lippi navigating.
A 1963 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta features Ferrari Classiche certification, along with an outstanding ownership history that includes noted Ferrari collectors Eric Stewart and Dr. Carlo Bonomi. As the fourth-to-last example made, this SWB offers the refinements made over the course of the model’s production, including a bigger windshield, more luxurious seats and a leather dash.
Check out the online catalog that includes our top picks: